Sunday, September 24, 2006

A few words concerning trans-Pacific air travel...

So I arrived in Busan on Saturday night around 10pm, it was a confusing and surreal arrival as I had embarked the previous Friday morning at 10am from Toronto.

I think what makes traveling to Asia so confusing is the time change. Coming back to Canada was a cinch. Leave Thursday at 7:30pm and arrive the same Thursday at 7:45pm. Love that date line, it creates a hole in time in which you had spent 14 hours sitting in a semi-comfortable chair, breathing recycled air and marveling at a projection screen, over the heads of several dozen people ahead of you, which is indicating that you are currently 10,300m over Siberia. (I've always wanted to go there!)
This hole in time is easy to reconcile. You haven't lost anything and you can pretend it didn't happen by just stopping your watch as soon as you sit down on the plane before take off and starting it again when you land-pause and unpause.

However, when I flew back. I had all this missing time to deal with, I mean the actual travel time was only around 23 hours or so. The missing 13... the made me feel really tired. Deep down. Even as I write this on Monday I feel like my blood is thick porridge and my eyelids are made of lead. Everything is just dragging.

Better get over it. Off to Shanghai the day after tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home