Friday, October 13, 2006

Shanghai V - Museums


More pictures, these ones were taken at several of the museums and galleries in Shanghai. They range from world class excellence to run down and downright bad. The photo pictured above is from the sculpture section of the Shanghai museum which was one of my favourites.











It has some amazing stone work, jade and ancient calligraphy galleries. The Shanghai Propoganda museum on the other hand was not so world class but oddly enough my favourite one. It was located in the basement of a tenement apartment block in a rundown neighborhood in the Frence Concession. I had to get the guard at the gate to give me a map and then wander around until I found building C. In the basement I had to bang on the door to wake up the curator who opened the door to the "gallery" and then left me to it. Some amazing posters showing Mao era propoganda mostly telling people to work harder, produce more, support international comrades in the struggle against imperialism and to kick the hell out of America.


The Shanghai Museum of Modern Art was also very cool, although not very Chinese. I guess that goes without saying though.

The Shanghai Museum of Urban planning was also kind of cool as it had a full scale model of the city that took up the entire 4th floor. Very impressive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home