Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Surrealist Subway Etiquette

These pictures were taken from posters in subway stations all over Busan. They had been staring me in the face for months and I had not gleamed their true meaning until recently. Now, I wish to share my revelations...


This one is a little deceptive, the English is a little too straightforward. The Korean script translates as "Hand Be Careful". So, I guess this means that English readers aren't supposed to touch the sign, and Koreans should just be careful when they do.




No grooving or lounging allowed on the stairs!!


Interesting causation going on here. From what I can gather, the cessation of spread-leg, full page newspaper reading can actually result in new hairstyles for your neighbors. I also think there is some punctuation things going on too, but that is beyond my humble deductive faculties.




Pandas...Giraffes ... elderly pink rabbits with plaid mufflers .... ... Smiley faces!! It is clear what's going on here.



Translation: "What in the hell are you doing crawling out of my TV?!?"



...???



You fool, you're supposed to jump over the turnstyle, not crawl under it! (But really, aren't those some evil looking grins!)




Again with the evil faces! Resultingly, I feel this one is also a bit of mixed message. Should we not block the people disembarking, or should we not man-handle the people that do.

Experience tells me the latter is correct.



1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin O said...

I like the guy crawling out of the TV. That happened to me once...scared the crap out of me!!

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home